Wednesday 15 June 2016

On Going Topic question part 4 (Final): Are video Games Defined by Graphics or Game play?

Through out the last three parts, I touched on a few games, how their graphics and game play affected them, and whether or not, this defined them.Using theses examples, I will try to come to a conclusion on whether or not video games defined by graphics or game play.

In part 1, I stated that 'Call of Duty' did not become as popular as it is today because of it's graphics, but rather to it's solid, but repetitive game play. COD's graphics have never really been what I'd call groundbreaking, if anything, I'd say that they are average, and have changed little over the yearly releases (though yes, graphically, they have changed a lot, but they just all look the same to me). This has lead me to come to the conclusion, that COD is defined by it's game play, which just like it's graphics, have remind pretty much the same over the years, as this formula (as horrible as it is) works. This game play Call of Duty has, created this 'feel' that not only lead to it's success but has lead to many other FPS games trying to copy it.

In part 2, I touched on 'Super Mario Bros.Wii' and how no one plays a Super Mario game for the graphics, but rather for it's game play (I am focusing on the plat former part of the franchise, not the RPGs). Now maybe at one point in time, the graphics of the first Super Mario games were revolutionary, but I doubt that is why people keep coming back to the games or what defines them. I think it was the simple, but challenging game play that really kept people's interest in the franchise. Just like with Call of Duty, it defined itself by the feel of it's game play, and just like with COD, many other plat former's have tried emulate that same feeling. (Either that, or it's just childhood nostalgia that really keeps the game relevant) 

In Part 3, I used the 'Batman Arkham' games as an example. Now this is a tough one, because the graphics in my opinion really helped bring out the detail of this comic book world, and helped with the immersion of playing has everyone's favorite detective. Without that, I do not think the Arkham games would have felt as good as they did. But, on the other hand, a big part of being able to play as the frickin Batman requires the game play to be just as good, if not better than the graphics. Because let's face it, when playing as a character as iconic as the Batman, you want to get the feel of the character just right, which is exactly what the Arkham games did (maybe with the exception of the tank segments).

Conclusion; video games are defined by their game play, not their graphics, though don't get me wrong, graphics are good, but that's not really what makes a video game work in the end.

         





No comments:

Post a Comment