Tuesday 14 June 2016

On Going Topic question part 3: Are video Games Defined by Graphics or Game play?

Well re-playing the 'Batman Arkham' games (surprise surprise you guys ready for a plot twist) I was asked the question; Are video Games Defined by Graphics or Game play?

Now I will admit, the Arkham games have beautiful graphics, I mean damn, Arkham Knight's especially, seeing all those rain droplets form up and run down Batman's suite and cape, as well as the detail in the environment, just glorious! And hell, even the first Arkham game as aged surprisingly well, I should also mention that despite all the darkness, being unable to see was never really an issue. In terms of game play, it tended to be nicely broken up with fun, but repetitive brawls, tension filled stealth segments and some light detective work (though I guess you could also count the tank segments in Arkham Knight, I did not personally find it as horrible has everyone was saying it is, though it did get kind of repetitive and annoying at times...). Overall, the game play is solid, challenging, and with plenty of variety so the game never relies entirely upon one game play type. Honestly, I don't think it was graphics that made the Arkham games so good, but rather the game play and how it made you feel like you where actually Batman.

No comments:

Post a Comment